BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 26, 2010

Random Post 1

At my service learning two Thursdays ago, I have finally heard some of the violence that goes on in my school. On of the boys I tutor was telling me a story about another boy I tutor. The story was that the second boy was threatening to stab someone at the playground after school the day before. The other children did not believe him until he pulled a small knife out of his backpack. Although, I was not sure whether or not to believe the story I told the teacher. This boy is known for fabricating stories so you never know whether he is lying or not, but that is a pretty big thing for him to lie about. To me it seems like a big deal, a 3rd grader pulling a knife on others. But he told me the story like it was completely normal and that it happens. This is how I think it relates to Kozol because they might have grown up in that hostile environment so they are used to it and do not know that it can be a serious subject.
Then the class was sitting on the reading mat in the back of the room and listening to the teacher. When she was done reading we were all getting up to stand and the boy I tutor accidentally stepped on another boys shoe. The other boy told him to "F*** off." My boy just said he was sorry and then the other boy goes "I'll beat the s*** out of you." I was completely shocked and could not believe what I was hearing. I stepped in and told them to knock it off but the other mumbled one more thing and I have no idea what it was but I'm sure it was bad. The teacher asked what happened and I told her and she just kind of let it go. That also shocked me but once again Kozol came into my head and it's just that they are used to this happening.

0 comments: